79-81 Main Street
Tel: +44 (0)1539 244037
Housemistress: Mrs Tracey Gunning (email@example.com)
Emblem: The Eagle
In the early part of the 20th Century the building that now holds Carus House was Sedbergh Preparatory School, an independent prep school. Although many of the boys went on to join Sedbergh School there was no official connection between the two. At its largest Sedbergh Prep School housed 50 boys.
In the 1920s Sedbergh School bought the building, renamed it Terrace East and West and turned it in to staff accommodation for Masters and their families. During this time a music teacher lived in the Terrace and used her home to give extra music lessons to the pupils.
In 2009 the building became Cressbrook House, the boys’ boarding house for Sedbergh Junior School, the junior section of Sedbergh School.
Following the merger between Casterton and Sedbergh School the house was converted to accommodate senior girls in 2013 under the name Carus House. Carus Wilson founded the Clergy daughters School at Cowen Bridge which later became Casterton School. The name Carus House was decided on following a vote of the girls of Casterton School. Carus House also includes two additional buildings, Footer View and Marshall House.