Tel: +44 (0)1539 244030
Housemaster: Mr Matt McVoy (email@example.com)
Emblem: The Jay
Hart House was the third of the specially planned and purpose-built boarding houses and it was completed in 1890. It was an early building by John Laing and Son (now known as Laing Construction) and the quotation for the work was £7,193.
Hart is named after Henry George Hart, the inspirational Headmaster of Sedbergh between 1880 and 1900 and the first Housemaster was Bernard Tower who moved into Hart during the summer of 1890 bringing with him 30 boys from what is now Lupton where he had been Housemaster. One of the other former Housemasters was A.J. Fowler, brother of the famous Henry Watson Fowler (also a member of School staff at one time), who helped the latter with his compilation of the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary. The House magazine, The Jay, gets its name from A.J. Fowler too.
Famous sons of Hart
Famous Hartonians include John Arden, Max Nicholson, Sir Robert Smith and PM Yeoman. The first Head of House was MHG Fell, later to become Lieutenant General Sir Matthew Fell KCB, CMG