1st XI v Yorkshire CCC Academy Lost by 52 runs.
Yorkshire 187 (C Sanders 4-32)
Sedbergh 135

The 1st XI suffered their first defeat of the season but not without giving a strong Yorkshire Academy side a real scare. Chris Sanders and George Hill both bowled excellently with the new ball and Sanders bagged early wickets. Kyme Tahirkheli and Harry Brook keep up the pressure and the Academy were in bother at 43-5. As you would expect however, they had depth in their batting and they recovered to post 187, a total that we never really threatened once early wickets fell.

3rd XI v RGS Lancaster Won by 6 wickets.
Lancaster RGS 131-3
Sedbergh 135-4 (O Hinks 58)
Oliver Hinks hit a powerful 58 to give the 3rd XI a defendable total to bowl at. The game ebbed and flowed but skipper George Martin came on to bowl three excellent overs at the death to close the game out.

A1 XI v Merchant Taylors (National Cup) Lost by 7 wickets.
Sedbergh 103-10 v Merchant Taylor’s 104-3 
After winning the toss on a flat low pitch with a quick bobbly outfield, Sedbergh struggled to play with any intent as they limped to 103 all out against a strong bowling attack including three good spinners. Only Leo Johnson (51) made any contribution although even he turned down at least 20 runs through poor running between the wickets.

As a result Merchant Taylor’s bowlers and fielders were never put under any pressure and Sedbergh were way below par. Although Murray Redpath struck early removing the opening batsman and Like Butler took 2 wickets, Sedbergh bowled poorly, bowling both sides of the wicket and pitching either too full or too short allowing the batsmen to score freely. Merchant Taylor’s top order chased down the total with ease running hard between the wickets and never letting Sedbergh settle. Hopefully the Sedbergh players will have taken on board a lot of the lessons from today.

1st XI v M.C.C Won by 3 wickets
M.C.C 216-8 Dec (K Tahirkheli 6-82)
Sedbergh 220-7 (M. Silvester 72, H Brook 67)
In a good game of cricket against a strong MCC side Kyme Tahirkheli bowled an excellent spell of leg spin, taking 6 wickets, to force a slightly below par declaration from the MCC. Harry Brook threatened to make light work of the target, dispatching 5 of his first 9 balls to the boundary and he and Sam Barrett got the innings underway well with an opening partnership of 69 before Barrett fell off the last ball before tea. When Brook was out for 67 Max Silvester took over the reins and hit an excellent 72 to set up a 3 wicket victory which was secured with a boundary from Wade Williams off the first ball of the last over.

1st XI v Manchester GS Won by two wickets.
Manchester GS 184 (J Park-Johnson 4-54, Tahirkheli 3-25) 
Sedbergh 188-8 (Barrett 54)
The 1st XI Secured victory by just 2 wickets against a gutsy MGS side in a game that ebbed and flowed throughout the day. When MGS were reduced to 87-7 it looked like the game might not last long put an excellent 65 not out from a year 9 boy enabled them to post a competitive 184. Tahirkheli was the pick of the bowlers with 3 for 25.

Barrett got the reply off to a good start with a half century and when he and Silvester were together it looked as though we might cruise to victory. However they were dismissed in the same over and a flurry of wickets then followed. Finally cool heads from Sanders and Paynter saw us home by 2 wickets.

2nd XI v Kirkham 1st XI Won by five wickets.
Kirkham 17 138 (Forde M 6-43) 
Sedbergh 141-6
An impressive 6 for 43 from ‘Simon’ Forde saw a heavily depleted 2nd XI having Kirkham 1st’s on the ropes at 89 for 9. A last wicket partnership was allowed to slip in however and the final target of 139 was more challenging than it seems on what was a highly variable and rapidly deteriorating wicket.  

Good innings from several of Sedbergh’s normally  lower order batsmen who found themselves promoted up the line-up saved the day including a ‘Captains innings’ of 35 by Oliver Rudd who was awarded his colours having served the team well for the last 3 seasons.

A1 XI v Manchester GS Won by 23 runs. 
Sedbergh 165-7 (Roman Wheatley 82*)
Manchester GS 141 (E Brewins 3-19)
After winning the toss and opting to bat A1 got off to a rocky start losing two quick wickets. A fifty run partnership between Roman Wheatley and Murray Redpath soon put the pressure back on MGS with some clean hitting and aggressive running between the wickets. Just when Redpath looked set to kick on he was dismissed by a great delivery from the MGS off spinner.

Wheatley stayed composed and played a beautiful knock of 82*. Key contributions at the end of innings from Sandy Turner and especially Percy Johnstone stretched the score out to 164.  Sedbergh got the start they wanted in the field with two wickets in quick succession. MGS battled hard to get back in the game and looked strong until the 15 over mark.

A middle order collapse inspired by Elliott Brewins left the home side too much to do as wickets kept falling at a consistent rate and the scoreboard pressure mounted. Roman Wheatley finished off a brilliant day individually by taking the final two MGS wickets.

A2 XI v Giggleswick Lost by one wicket.
Sedbergh 87 
Giggleswick 89-9
A2 had another nail biter of a fixture, this time against local rivals Giggleswick. Strengthened by the likes of Stanley, Cade and Johnston, expectations were high. However, a very strong bowling attack from the away side skittled the top and middle order, leaving Gray and Campbell to put in a decent partnership to get Sedbergh to a low score of 87 off 20 overs. 

Giggleswick initially chased this target well however wickets came thick and fast for the home side and with 5 overs remaining, the away team still needed 32 to win. It came down to the last over with 4 needed. Three balls into the over the victors were Giggleswick as there captain stroked a four into the leg side. 
Another good learning curve for these young men. 

B1 XI v Manchester GS Won by 8 wickets
Manchester GS 103-10.
Sedbergh 104-2 (Johnson 62*) 
Sedbergh played an excellent all round game after losing the toss and bowling first. Hugh Tyser in particular bowled well with the new ball and set the tone for the innings. Backed up with some tight fielding MGS struggled to score and as so often happens got out trying to hit poor balls too hard. Noah Parkinson bowled a couple of “Jaffas” to dismiss two of the top order and despite a rally at the end of the innings the MGS score always looked below par.

Sedbergh started calmly putting on 25 for the first wicket and once Leo Johnson got his eye in the result was never in doubt as Sedbergh came home with over ten overs to spare. The most pleasing aspect was the clear improvement from Wednesday showing intent of the batsmen running between the wickets.

B2 XI v Manchester GS lost by 73 runs. 
Manchester GS 178
Sedbergh 105 (O Barlow 50*) 
Opening spells from Scott and Jameson restricted MGS at the start of their innings, however sloppy discipline later on meant that runs can cheaply. Although Barlow bowled well in the middle overs, MGS posted a significant total of 178.

Sedbergh’s response got off to a positive start with Booth and Scott hammering the short leg side boundary. However wickets soon began to tumble as the consistently of the MGS bowling attack started to pay dividends. That said, a strong 50 run partnership between Barlow and Young’s steadied the ship and the game was briefly back in the balance. Barlow continued to bat aggressively but at the other end, poor decision making meant that Sedbergh were eventually bowled out for 105, losing by 73 runs.

B1 XI v Cumbria
Match details to be sent separately by MPS.


On Wednesday 3rd May the Athletics team made their way across to the Gateshead International Stadium to compete in the North HMC event, with schools such as Barnard Castle, Bradford Grammar, Leeds Grammar School and Newcastle school for boys in attendance to name four. Our Athletes acquitted themselves really well and the following success were of highlight;

• Joshua Hodge winning the Senior Boys Javelin with 45 metres
• Tom Russell winning the Intermediate Boys Hammer with 28 metres 90.
• Alex Duckett winning the intermediate girls 1500m in 5 mins 26
• George Rigal winning the Intermediate Boys 800m in 2 mins 08
• Rin Murata winning the Senior boys 110 metre hurdles in 17.6 seconds
• Scout Turner Richards winning the Junior girls 75metre hurdles in 13.6 seconds
• Jose Coulthard winning the senior girls 400m in 57 seconds
• Elle Heathcote winning the intermediate girls 300m in 44.3 seconds
• Charlie Graham winning the senior boys 200m in 23.5 seconds

But one person to mention was Boys Athletics captain Fergus MacMillan who not only won the senior boys 1500m (4.24) but also the senior boys 800m in 2.05.

A very positive day for the Athletics club and we now look forward to next Wednesdays ESAA Track and Field cup for years 9 and 10.


A team of novice multi-eventers was taken to Whitehaven to test their mettle against the best in Cumbria. Our athletes rose to the occasion and over the two days they performed admirably in a range of track and field disciplines. Natasha Cookson started off by leading our junior girls to 3rd place individually in the pentathlon and 2nd in the team standings; a fantastic effort from Natasha, Scout Turner-Richards and India Haydon-Wood in a series of unfamiliar events.

The intermediate girls of Emily Dignan, Alex Duckitt and Elle Heathcote were up against some very stiff competition in the heptathlon but managed to decimate the team competition to win by over 1,000 points; finishing 4th, 5th and 8th respectively. Matt Cooney finished top of the junior boy’s podium with Max Lawson a very creditable 6th. Ben Burridge finished 2nd in the intermediate boy’s octathlon with very consistent performances across the board, and Josh Hodge won the senior boys Decathlon; a throw of near 50m in the javelin the highlight of his series. 

Selection for the North of England championships is to follow for our athletes. In a very busy week, all pupils performed heroically across the two days and represented the school and the team exceptionally well. 

Junior Girls: Natasha Cookson 3rd
Team 2nd (Natasha Cookson, Scout Turner-Richards, India Haydon-Wood)
Intermediate Girls: Team 1st (Emily Dignan, Alex Duckitt, Elle Heathcote)
Emily Dignan 4th, Alex Duckitt 5th, Elle Heathcote 8th
Junior Boys: Matt Cooney 1st, Max Lawson 6th
Intermediate Boys: Ben Burridge 2nd
Senior Boys: Josh Hodge 1st



Annandale welcomed us with a good wind coupled with occasional sun, even if the wind came with what the Australians might call Willy-willies – massive gusts with big wind shifts that flattened more than a few of the fleet; some more than others.  

Walter Keegan (H) and Geordan Moss (W) even with 4.7 rigs had problems with the wind and Geordan in particular suffered a series of capsizes but still managed to complete the race but had had enough by then.  By the end of the first race all were happy to take a break and regain some energy from excellent homemade soup and rolls from the galley staff at the club. – Whilst still strong and gusty not as wild as race 1.

Walter stuck it out for one more race but discretion was the better part of valour and he retired along with several others before Race 3.  Chris Nurney set a long beat and fast reaches for race 2, and an extra beat in race 3 which saw the race leaders having a very close battle all the way to the line.  Meanwhile George Thomas (H) having had a good first race coming 7th was finding the afternoon harder but scored a 9th in race 2.

Unfortunately a capsize followed by is mast getting stuck in the mud caused him such stress in race 3 that he forgot to round mark 3 and was a DNF in the final race.  A hard day’s sailing saw him tired but satisfied at the prize giving having had as he commented “his best race in a Laser series event ever”.

Sailors came from 8 different clubs which, for 15 sailors, is a good spread.  Our three sailors have now completed both races of the series so far.  We look forward to St Mary’s round 3 in 2 weeks’ time.  

First youth – George Thomas – Sedbergh

Next week sees us travel to West Kirby for our first ever regatta at that club for another round of the North West Junior Travellers series. 

Follow Sedbergh: