Wednesday 7th October

1st XV v Kings Macclesfield (A) Won 42-17
Sedbergh travelled to Kings Macclesfield in what is always a very tough away fixture under lights at the Macclesfield Rugby Club. In a typically physical affair Sedbergh scored early after a brilliant counter attack resulted in James Botham scoring out wide.

A piece of individual brilliance from Ali Crossdale followed next as he executed a perfect chip and chase to double Sedbergh’s lead at 14-0. Kings Macclesfield then replied with a try of their own from close range to close the gap.

With ten minutes to go before half time Sedbergh stepped up a gear scoring two great team tries to Botham and Hayden Thompson Green. In a mistake ridden second half Sedbergh scored two further tries which ended any chance of a Macclesfield comeback. A much deserved victory from Sedbergh as they continue their good start to the season.
Tries: Botham 2, Crossdale Thompson Green, Lewin, Davies
Cons: Crossdale 6 

2nd XV v Kings Macclesfield (A) Won 50-5
A solid performance saw the 2nd XV convincingly beat a Kings Macclesfield 2nd XV. After a slow start, our power started to show and after a number of phases Williams broke through the defence for an opening score. This provided the momentum for the team to dominate the rest of the half despite never really getting into top gear.

Thompson was proving elusive in midfield and, after a sharp line break, put Heathcote in for a second try. Strong running by Savage was rewarded with two further tries before half time, the first of which he created by moving off his wing and attacking space in midfield. The second half was becoming a bit of a non-event until Madronal became more involved in the game.

A re-jigged backline creating the space for the powerful winger to run in three long-distance tries in quick succession. McGhee finished the scoring with a well-taken try after good interplay by the forwards.

A good win, but equally a frustrating win with too many handling errors. It was very much a case of “after the Lord Mayor’s show” following the heroics of Ampleforth. 

3rd XV v QEGS Penrith (H) Won 25-13
This was essentially a very disappointing game although the result was very pleasing against a team that defended very well against us. They committed few to rucks they were losing and filed the pitch. They scored two good tries one from a spilled ball by us and another from 8 missed tackles!

The post-match debrief is probably best left on the pitch but suffice to say that each of the players was asked to look at themselves and be honest about what they need to develop.

Friday will be an important session to look at some of our weaknesses, we don’t have long to put them right and the boys need to be honest in their approach.

4th XV v QEGS Penrith (H) Won 60-7
A weakened Penrith side were always going to struggle. Sedbergh dominated the loose play and were able to secure the game in the first half.  Gradual pressure turned into a steady flow of points as the opposition tired in the second half.

Useful things to work on next week can be drawn from the game including being aware of our oppositions weaknesses rather than just playing our own game, also not trying to pass a greasy ball wide in our own 22 without looking where our own/opposition players are might help!

The return game will be a much closer affair.  SRA

A1 v Kings Macclesfield (A) Won 26-0
A1 started and finished this game playing some excellent rugby in which they scored 4 good tries and managed to prevent a spirited King’s side from crossing our line.

A well worked early score saw Henry Turner crash over in the corner but an error strewn period meant that we didn’t add to this until the 2nd half when Finn Mounsey scored with his first 2 touches having come off the bench. Johnny Mason rounded things off with an excellent solo effort from ruck 40 metres out.

B1 v Kings Macclesfield (A) Won 65-5
Suffocating defence and clinical attack blew Kings away in the first half. B1’s most complete performance of the season so far. 

C1 v Kings Macclesfield (A) Won 27-0
Against dogged opponents, C1 put together their best performance of the season so far. The forwards were dominant at the breakdown, which meant lots of possession for the backs, who were starting to play with greater fluency – although handling and decision-making could still be better.

The first try was scored by Captain Jones on the wing, a pleasing reflection of the type of rugby we are aiming to play, with forwards doing the hard work to create space for the backs, who then ran straight and passed wide. 
Defence was a particularly pleasing feature, with no points conceded despite our opponents battering our line for the last portion of the first half. 

Saturday 10th October

1st XV v Durham (A) Won 38-14 
Sedbergh travelled to Durham to take on a very strong and unbeaten home side who were full of confidence after a string of very good recent performances. In a tense first half Durham scored first through a powerful run by their dangerous centre.

Jonny Keh then replied quickly for Sedbergh when he scored a brilliant individual try to even the scores at 7 all. Both teams traded early tries early in the second period to set the match up for an exciting finish. With 15 minutes to go Sedbergh shifted up a gear in every facet of play that shocked the home side. Keh finished a sensational try after a crucial Ali Crossdale Turnover under his own posts.  

Further scores from Will Lewin (2) and Crossdale broke Durham’s back and completed a superb 2nd half performance and victory. This was a very pleasing performance from a Sedbergh team who are gaining serious momentum. A big week lies ahead as we now travel to Somerset on Wednesday to take on old rivals Millfiled in a mouth-watering clash.
Tries: Keh 2, Lewin 2, Bonham, Crossdale
Cons: Crossdale 4 cons

3rd XV v Durham (A) Won 50-8
Durham away is always a tough fixture. Going from the wide open spaces of busk to the relatively confined space on the top pitch at Durham the boys have to change their game plan and ensure that they don’t allow Durham to dictate the game. Durham are always good in defence and fill the pitch, with boys running very hard lines in defence to make sure they don’t close down the space for their outside runners.

Our rucking had to be good today and had to be tidier than it had been last Wednesday. Sanson and Alejandro were destructive in the tight play and Bolton was good on the carry. Our line outs were a little sloppy today and we need to work hard to keep our first phase ball.

We did look after the ball a little better today which was pleasing and necessary but we did slip off some tackles. We need to identify when we need to ensure contact is on our terms and put in some basic tackles. We also need to retreat at the penalty whilst facing the ball, not doing that cost us a try today- a sharp team will punish us for basic errors.

Joel started at flyhalf for us and did a brilliant job he took the ball to the line and distributed well. He scored a very good try showing guile and power. Moss came on five minute in the second half and also played well. Selection problems ahead!

Madronal was again powerful and direct in attack and scored two today. Ward was a revelation, he kicked beautifully from the tee; and Park- Johnson managed to drop a goal from the half way line in the second half which was put together beautifully.

Scott-Dempster at Full Back was outstanding. In his best game in a Brown shirt was hard in defence and fielded their kicking game and returned it with interest. His score at the end from sixty meters was scintillating and was a wonderful way to finish a good team performance. Two games before half term, then some rest; but get the games in before the rest starts!

5th XV v Uppingham (A) Lost 34-24
The coach rolled up at 8:30am and we set off on our journey with really enthusiasm. The motto of Tinyside shone through like a beacon “get on with it and have some fun whilst doing it”. A quick pit stop brought some real world civilisation to us and then we entered Uppingham and had three tours of the town before finally finding the pitch.

Their coach was blown away by our enthusiasm to play a 5th XV team game at such a distant. We replied, “Were Sedbergh, that’s what we do”. The education of the boys shone through as they warmed up purely of their own back, this thoroughly impressed the Uppingham and Stamford coaches (who went out to warm up their team, whilst myself and Mr Ashfield had another cup of tea).

The team was selected and we kicked off with the only tactics we know, score once and have some fun. We went down three tries in the opening 15 minutes but this only brought the boys closer together and it was great to see Ben Hunt, showing and encouraging Veron Chung how to play open side flanker. 

It then happened, we won the ball and advanced down the field through 5 or 6 phases to score our try to rapturous applause. Ben Hunt crossing the line, after great work from Gabriel Lee and the forwards. Another try then followed from the second row Ozzy Ukponzene. Suddenly we were in dreamland. Mr Ashfield had to catch me as I fainted. 

At half time spirits were high and changes were made, nobody complained, we were there to give everyone a game. We even had support from the Ward & Hunt parents. In fitting style we gave them a round of applause.

In the second half the next try would be decisive and we almost crossed the line but in a cruel blow their winger ran the full length of the field to score a try and break our hearts. As usual, though the never say die attitude shone bright and we were to score further tries through Ben Fawcett and Ozzy.

It’s fair to say that friends were made and Uppingham were superb in hosting us. Their referee was marvellous and it made for a great day. Hours of singing on the way back made the journey fly and we can only hope that we can get another match. I’d quite happily travel to the moon.

A1 v Durham (H) Lost 40-12
A1 played some excellent rugby with ball in hand but ultimately lacked the firepower to cope with a powerful and effective Durham outfit.

Unfortunately, our defence was inadequate and we made poor decisions and fell off too many tackles which allowed Durham to storm to a 28-0 lead, scoring on every occasion that they entered our 22 in the first quarter.

Weaker sides might have folded at this stage but A1 responded spiritedly and threw all they had at Durham. Over the final 40 minutes of the game the score was 12-12, with Henry Turner bagging both tries, but unfortunately the damage had been done early on!

B1 v Durham (H) Won 71-10
Sedbergh scored at will in a mismatched encounter. 

C1 v Durham (A) Won 36-0
C1 recorded another comfortable win against a big and committed, but ultimately limited Durham side, who disappointingly stopped the match with only ten minutes played in the second half. Durham started strongly, pinning us on our own line and crashing big ball carriers up the 10 channel.

We defended well, however, and managed to survive the onslaught unscathed; one huge tackle from Kouadio set the tone and the backs then played their part in defence out wide. Our backs played more fluently than in previous matches, with the ball frequently finding its way to our wingers in space out wide, which led to some top class tries, with impressive interplay between backs and forwards.

Sheil was making much better decisions at fly half, sensibly judging when to test the defence and when simply to fizz the ball out wide. The Melvilles were reunited in the centre and both looked dangerous with ball in hand, whilst Jones was always a threat from fullback. Tuipulotu was as influential as ever both in open play and at the breakdown, whilst Wilman had his best game of the season so far at prop, including a 50m break from the base of the ruck.
A very pleasing all round team performance.

C2 v Durham (A) Lost 39-12
C2 battled hard in the second half against a strong Durham side who were dangerous on the counter attack. Unfortunately they left it too late to play their best rugby.

Follow Sedbergh: