1st XV v Whitgift (A) Won 14-11
Sedbergh travelled to Whitgift for their first match of the season in what is always a highly anticipated and competitive match between two very strong sides.

Playing against the wind and slope in the first half Whitgift fed off the visitors mistakes with two well struck penalty’s and an intercept try to give the home side an 11-0 lead. Too further Sedbergh’s misery Brad Clements was sent from the field after just 25 minutes of play adding to what was already building as a huge task away from home.

In the second half Sedbergh regrouped and threw everything they had at Whitgift. After an incredibly patient build up in now wet conditions Sam Moore broke two tackles to score a great try out wide. Josh Hodge converted to make the score 11-7 to Whitgift. Confidence now grew as Sedbergh dominated possession and territory as we stepped up our intensity and belief. Relentless pressure on the Whitgift line soon proved too much as Ben Watson scored a vital try out wide after a well-timed pass from Oli Rudd.

Sedbergh had now taken the lead for the first time in the match! Josh Hodge again kicked a crucial conversion giving Sedbergh a three point lead with just ten minutes to play. The final minutes of the match were all played in Whitgift’s half as Sedbergh refused to give them an inch. The full time whistle blew to the visitors delight as they pulled off an historic victory in South Croydon with just 14 players on the field.

Tries: Sam Moore, Ben WatsonCons: Josh Hodge 2

2nd XV v Whitgift, Warwick & Bromsgrove @ Warwick (Festival)
2nd XV v Whitgift Lost 8 – 0
2nd XV v Bromsgrove Won 31 – 0
2nd XV v Warwick Lost 12-5

Playing Whitgift up first, it was a classic case where the boys still looked like they were on the bus after a long journey. The London team played very direct with considerably more organisation in attack than the boys in brown. They swiftly moved to an 8-0 lead and by the time Sedbergh began to string a good pattern of play together time was up.

Bromsgrove were up next and our players had clearly lifted the intensity going into the match. The hunger to win the ball and keep it through more than three phases, allowed some dangerous backs to use their skill in the width, scoring some well put together tries. Sedbergh eventually ran out comfortable winners, scoring five tries with no answer from the opposition. Last up, Warwick posed a significant challenge.

The home side got off to a great start scoring two tries, originating from either a Sedbergh mistake or some sloppy defending. However, the squad rallied and starting playing some well-organised rugby, stretching the opposition often and eventually breaking them down to get one score back with five minutes to spare.

Warwick held on, defending frantically and ran out winners 12-5. It was a great opportunity for the 2nd XV squad to see where they were at in terms of their development from pre-season and it has proved there is plenty to work on going forward. 

A1 v Whitgift, Warwick & Bromsgrove @ Bromsgrove (Festival)
A1 v Bromsgrove Draw 0 – 0 
A1 v Whitgift Draw 5 – 5 
A1 v  Warwick Won 14 – 0 

Four leading schools at 16 Group attended this festival at Bromsgrove School, all having had successes as U15’s. It was very apparent from the outset that the skill level and athleticism of each side was high. The first game witnessed a 0-0 draw between local rivals Warwick and the home side Bromsgrove.

Sedbergh A1 side were keen to make an impression, but had to deal with the rather damp conditions early on in their first game against the hosts; Bromsgrove. The home side were a physical side and tried to assert themselves up front early on. However a resolute Sedbergh side held firm in defence. In attack some early season handling errors did not help in securing possession and frustratingly missed some opportunities to hit line breaks and indeed get over the whitewash. The end score 0-0.

A 5 minute turn around meant our A1 side facing a very powerful Whitgift side, but again some dogged and determined defence meant Whitgift becoming frustrated. However a kick through by their fly half was what it took for them to take a 5-0 lead.

With a minute to go, a scrum deep inside the Sedbergh half, witnessed a strong carry from number 8, Harry Hill – opened up space for our wing to scamper down the right and offload back to Hill whom ran 20 metres to score. Unfortunately the conversion was just hit to the left of the uprights. End result – 5 – 5.

After a good rest for A1 – having watched the Whitgift side beat Bromsgrove 2- 0 and then Warwick 3 – 0, Sedbergh faced Warwick. A titanic battle early on – with both sides not taking a step back until an interception by Sedbergh fly half Barber put our A1 side in front.

Warwick came back and attacked and attcked and some heroic defence was a pleasure to see – all 15 brown shirts standing fast. Eventually frustrations from the Warwick side meant a turn over and Sedbergh Wing Hollins running in from 60 metres to see A1 triumph 2 – 0.

Overall plenty to work on in Attack, but a lot of character and heart shown in defence.

B1 v Whitgift, Warwick & Bromsgrove @ Warwick (Festival)
SSFC 0 – 0 Whitgift
SSFC 5 – 5 Bromsgrove
SSFC 0 – 12 Warwick

Colts B enjoyed an excellent day of competition at the Warwick tournament playing three good U15 sides in 20 minute matches. All four sides will be looking to compete in the later stages of the national competition this year and Sedbergh held their own at this level. 

Colts B defended impressively against powerful and skilful opponents and the three tries they conceded came from a driving maul, a kick through and short range effort following a sustained period of pressure.

If Sedbergh continue to defend like this they will be a hard team to beat in a full-length fixture. A number of new squad members made their debuts in a Brown shirt and as the team gels together we look forward to seeing the attacking play develop. 


Lakeland and Far Northern laser series -Round 8 (penultimate event in series) At Kielder Sailing Club

James Thomas (Capt) – full size rig – uncertain result!

George Thomas – radial rig – 2nd in class

Pier Pello – 4.7 rig – 1st in class

As we come to the end of this series – with only one final event to go in October – we have two leading boats -Pier currently leads the 4.7 rig and maintained his lead with another first today and George Thomas currently leads the radial class and has completed his series.  

Both the above classes are quite small whereas James Thomas in the full size rig not only is in a much larger class but is up against all the adults in the series.  Prior to today he was lying 10th and 2nd Youth but we are not sure what today’s results will show.  

Unfortunately, the committee boat didn’t appear to have scored the finish very accurately and when we left for home (Socials were calling!) there was considerable confusion and perhaps it will be sorted out in due course…… We think he was probably about 6th but we are not sure whether he beat the current leading youth in this class.  

The winds were light to medium with race 2 in particular being very fickle, and at one stage the slow classes rode a gust downwind to almost overtake the faster class much to their delight.  This certainly helped George’s results.

Meanwhile, Pier in the slowest class of all was having a slightly torrid time with little competition to race against and with light winds, it is difficult to get the boat to move with such a small sail.  

Meanwhile, James Thomas was having some good racing both with the other leading youth and with Chay Turner-Richard (OS) who is going to sail with us next weekend at the 24 hour race along with other OS Nick Giraud.

Follow Sedbergh: