On a windy, wet and cold day Sedbergh were punished for an ill disciplined fiftteen minutes at the end of the first half that saw them slip from 0-0 to 4-0 down. Until conceding the first goal Sedbergh had kept their shape and not dived in, ensuring that Rossall were not given loose balls to pick off in their attacking third.

However a failure to clear the ball gifted Rossall their opener and with Captain Roddy Giles and centre back Jack Edwards injured the team lost its calmness, dived into tackles, tried to dribble out of defence and failed to move the ball quickly. With a host of international players Rossall slotted three more in quick succession as Sedbergh wilted.

A strong talk at half time saw Sedbergh play with more discipline and control in the second half which was drawn 1-1 thanks to a deflected Dan Hamill hit into the D. In his first appearance Will Lewin played with more confidence as the game progressed whilst Felix Zinkann found his passing game and Josh McAnemy became to consistently break down play in the central midfield.

It was a good lesson for the team. For 75% of the game Sedbergh competed well but good teams punish lapses in concentration when players forget their roles and make poor decisions. Hopefully the team can put this right when they play Baines on Wednesday.


Sedbergh seconds produced another fine display that should have seen them beat Rossall after John Campbell scored to give Sedbergh the lead with three minutes remaining. However a failure to hold their shape allowed Rossall to break from their own D down the left hand side and score with a minute to go, whilst two other good chances were not converted in the last minute.

Archie Campbell, playing his first game of the season, was outstanding in the centre of midfield whilst Will Ballard and Jack Bonham impressed in the inside forward positions. Jonas Silmann and Toby Randall Paley played well on the wings whilst Alex Procter played better at left back and was unlucky not to score when his short corner strike hit the post.


Rossall were set out to be the u15s toughest game so far. They saw this as a challenge and stepped up to dominate match play with great work rate from Chris sanders, forcing Rossall to make simple mistakes that left them defeated. The first goal was scored by Carruthers after a powerful cross from max silvester. The remaining 3 goals were scored off perfectly rehearsed short corners with the most impressive being the “German” goal played by Sanders and McAneny.


The U14s communicated well and played simple effective hockey particularly in the first 15 minutes. The first goal was set up by Jack WW who passed the ball up to Bevan who made a powerful cross to hodge to ping into the top of the net. The boys played maturely and showed great potential to be a superb team in time.


The swimming team go from strength-to-strength with a very impressive 37-33 victory against Rossall.

With a quick re-write of the rules after the opposition failed to bring a junior team to create a mixed-aged, universal gala.

Exceptional performances came from Jonny Mason (E) and Matthew Ridley (S) who competed against upper sixth formers and came second in their respective events.

Relay victories from very strong performances from Henry Holdsworth (SH), Joe Unsworth (E), Harry Heathcote (P) and captain Nikita Belousov (SH) ensured the points went in our favor and we could claim a good victory against a much older team.


Two good wins for the Colts today, the 1st VI winning 166-78 and the 2nd VI 150-102.

Sedbergh had six players making their competitive debut and this was valuable match experience for them.

Pair of the day: Conner McKinney and Fergus Connolly.


The basketball team got their season underway with an impressive victory over Rossall. Inspired by a pre-match good luck message sent on video from former captain Michael Cheng the team got into their stride quickly with captain John Chan orchestrating matters well from the point. Good passing regularly pulled the Rossall defence out of position and enabled us to find space in and out of the key and some good shooting, particularly from Ivan Yip and Aaron Zhau saw the team up 14 points to 6 at the end of the first quarter.

Defensively the team stood up well throughout and Rossall found it hard to penetrate our zone and didn’t possess the shooting accuracy to hurt us from outside and we managed to keep them to just 14 points in the first half. In the 3rd quarter Sedbergh upped the tempo and began to hurt Rossall on the break as they began to tire. Some quick points on transition combined with some good 3 point shooting from Martin Ip saw us score 22 points in the quarter and effectively put the contest to bed. This enabled the bench to be emptied in the final quarter and everybody got court time as we ran out winners by 65 points to 37. Overall, a most encouraging start to the season.


Sedbergh travelled to RGS Lancaster with a strong squad of 28 players for their second match of the JBS season. In the first of three twenty five minute games played in awful conditions, Sedbergh scored first through dangerous wing Harry Halsall who finished off an excellent try which was converted by Captain John McPhillips.

Lancaster then hit back against the run of play as they capitalised on an intercept pass to run sixty metres to score just before the first break. With a complete change of squad for the second match Sedbergh were instantly put under immense pressure as they conceded an early score to give Lancaster a deserved lead.

Sedbergh then replied with the best try of the game from Will Lewin after a long spell of possession and great lead up play from Will Topham and Angus Brown. With an overall lead of 12 -7 going in the third and final match Sedbergh took control of the game in an outstanding twenty minute period resulting in four unanswered tries.

Lancaster scored a late consolation try at the end of the match to make the final score 38 -13 in Sedbergh’s favour. A good performance in tough conditions by the Sedbergh JBS who are beginning to show some real progress.


In very wet and Windy conditions at Buskholme Sedbergh hosted Bablake College 1st XV in their third game of the JBS season. Sedbergh began the match strongly as they scored on their first possession through Harry Halsall who beat two defenders to open the scoring for the home side.

Further 1st half tries then came after long spells of pressure proved to much for the Bablake defence as Tom Brown, Johnny McPhillips and Halsall scored again to give Sedbergh a commanding and well deserved lead of 26 – 3.

After making some changes for the second half Sedbergh continued to put pressure on the visitors as Jack Solman scored an outstanding try after big contributions from Koffi Kouadio and man of the match Freddie Renwick. Andrew Adams then had the final say as he scored the last try of the match to hand Sedbergh a 38 – 3 victory. Sedbergh JBS now look forward to their next fixture as they host Kirkham on Wednesday at Buskholme in what is always a very tough match.

Follow Sedbergh: