Sedbergh Complete ‘Double-Treble’ With Tens Title

Sedbergh were recently crowned National Super Tens champions for the third season in a row, and in doing so completed a feat quite remarkable in Schoolboy rugby. The ‘double-treble’. The 1st XV replicated last year’s success by retaining all three titles this season; Daily Mail Trophy, Rosslyn Park National Schools Sevens and National Super Tens.

Sedbergh scored 145 points and only conceded 12 across their three group games on day one. Recording three wins from three against; Bristol Grammar School, Llandovery College, and RGS High Wycombe.

Sedbergh entered day two in high spirits off the back of an impressive first day. In their first game of day two, Sedbergh were pushed all the way by a talented Stamford side and it took a late try to seal a 22-17 victory for Sedbergh, in a game that was anything but straightforward.

Going into their two remaining games of the group, Sedbergh knew they had to improve and that’s exactly what they did. Winning both games against QEGS Wakefield and Brighton College, scoring a combined total of 96 points and, more impressively, not conceding a point. Those three victories sent Sedbergh into the Cup Final where they would face longstanding rivals, Kirkham Grammar School.

Sedbergh were now one game away from retaining their National Super Tens title and completing the much talked about ‘double-treble’.

Sedbergh controlled the game from the start and had the majority of the possession. Kirkham defence showed no signs of being breached and some excellent last-ditch tackles saved a Sedbergh try on two occasions. Kirkham continued to frustrate Sedbergh, who had nothing to show for all their possession.

The breakthrough came nine minutes in as Panday crossed from close range to finally break the Kirkham defence. Haydon-Wood converted and Sedbergh went into the halftime break with a 7-0 lead.

Sedbergh won the ball from kick off and after a number of phases with some powerful carries, the ball was whipped out wide and Barber scored. Haydon-Wood again converted making it 14-0.

With two converted tries on the scoreboard, Sedbergh looked set to replicate their performance against Dulwich in the National Schools Sevens final and start to move away from Kirkham, but it was not to be. Kirkham retained possession for over five minutes and were relentless in attack, thanks partly to their energetic scrum half who was superb in both attack and defence all game.

As the minutes ticked by, Sedbergh defence held firm and Kirkham found no way through. Seizing their opportunity, Sedbergh forced the turnover and immediately went on the attack looking to put the game to bed. With the ball being recycled on the right wing, a pass inside found Haydon-Wood who held off the tackle from the Kirkham defender to score.

With the final play of the game, Melville broke through a tired Kirkham defence to score and with the try successfully converted by Cooke, that sealed a 26-0 victory.

Follow Sedbergh: