Here at Sedbergh we offer a City & Guilds Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Agriculture as an option in our Sixth Form. This agriculture course is highly regarded by the industry and has equivalence to an A-Level for UCAS points, when applying to relevant higher and further educational courses after school, such as Agricultural Degrees, HNDs and HNCs, as well as Veterinary Science, Mechanical Engineering and Environmental Science. This is an exciting opportunity for pupils to take a practical, vocational course in a college environment.
The course is taken at Newton Rigg College, near Penrith, on Thursdays. Pupils leave school at 10.30am, returning by 6pm for tea. Whilst at college they are taught in their own group by specialist staff and have many opportunities for practical work with livestock and machinery. Back in school, their timetable includes three supervised lessons each week, in which they study and prepare agriculture assignments independently.
Over the two years pupils study the following units:
- Undertake Agricultural Livestock Production. This is a highly practical unit with pupils tracking livestock production systems and learning key skills.
- Understand and Promote Animal Health. Pupils learn to identify, understand and treat animals, both practically and in theory.
- Undertaking Land-based Machinery Operations. This mainly practical unit focuses on the purpose and operation of land-based machinery; looking at the preparation, use, and their maintenance.
- Participate in Business Planning and Improvement in the Land-based Sector. This very useful unit covers business planning and improvement in a land-based business environment.
- Understand and Carry Out Farm Livestock Husbandry. Another very practical unit involving the handling of livestock and husbandry requirements.
- Understand Beef Production. This practical unit sees pupils following beef cattle through their life cycle to point of sale.
Pupils do much of their work electronically, emailing assignments to college staff and having access in school to cloud storage where there is plenty of material relating to their studies.