Tel: +44 (0)1539 244035
Housemaster: Mr Chris Mahon ([email protected])
Deputy Housemaster: Mr A J Hurst
Resident House Tutor: Mr G Roberts
Assistant Housemistress: Miss R Gardiner
House Tutors: Mr M J Appleton, Mr S R Arnold, Mr M P Speight, Mrs M V Duckham
Emblem: The Mole
winder house - brief history
Numbers in the school increased during the First world War and, as a result, Winder House was founded in 1915. It began as a small House run by Mr Counsell in the foothills of Winder on Highfield lane, hence the House name. The House then moved to its current location in 1926 under the leadership of Reverend N. Gorton.
housemaster and family
The current Housemater is Chris Mahon who took over, along with his wife Justine, in 2008. Chris arrived at Sedbergh in 2003 as Head of Boys’ Sport and was Master in Charge of Cricket for 15 years as well as being heavily involved in Sedbergh rugby, coaching the Colts A1 and C1 sides throughout that time. Chris and Justine, who is the School’s Nurse Manager, have two daughters, Amy who is now at university having left Sedbergh in 2017 and Kitty who is currently in the Sixth Form.
ethos and vision
Winder is blessed by its location just past Robertson House at the end of Winder Drive. The garden is blessed with a marvellous patio and panoramic views over Winder to the North, Boar fell to the East and Frostrow to the South. The location sets it apart from other Houses and Winderians will always say that the short walk down the drive gives a real sense of ‘coming home’ at the end of the day.
Among Winder's famous sons are numbered Lord Bingham of Cornhill KG, PC, Lord Waddington, Robert Swan and William Carling.