The Pepperpot is a well known landmark on the outskirts of Sedbergh. The ruin sat just feet away from the Dales Way path and is visited by hundreds of walkers each year as they pass. The building is believed to be around 100 years old although stories differ as its original use. It is commonly thought to have been built as an isolation house for a local land owner’s daughter who had Tuberculosis. The last known use of Pepperpot was in 1936 when it was rented by a school master from the Preparatory School of Sedbergh and since then it fell slowly into disrepair. In 2015 grants were awarded by Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority and the Heritage Lottery Fund to restore Pepperpot for use by the local community. The site has been rebuilt using heritage materials where possible and keeping the remaining parts of the building visible rather than rendering the full exterior.
For further information please go to The Pepperpot website >>>